Once a week either on Saturday or Sunday (depending on how much homework I have :/) I do some baking for the next week’s packed lunches. This week’s treat was incredibly low-fat and delicious ‘Molly Cake’ The week before I had attempted to make some cereal bars but turned out to be some sort of crumble – great as sprinkles on yoghurt and fruit for breakfast – not what I was aiming for. So after talking to my mum about some other recipes she told me to ask my aunt about ‘Molly Cake’ she directed me to the Waitrose website and lo and behold there was the recipe! Eager to try said recipe I bought the ingredients and got baking:
- 250g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml water
- 85g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 85g wholemeal flour
- 500g bag dried, mixed fruit
- 50g ground almonds
- 80ml orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3 and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment. (Unfortunately I did not have a 900g loaf tin so used a cake tin instead and it was perfectly fine)
- Put the dates and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Put the plain flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl. Add the wholemeal flour, mixed fruit and ground almonds and mix. Stir in the wet date mixture and the orange juice. Mix well.
- Spoon into the loaf/cake tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. (My cake was ready at about 30 minutes for some reason… Perhaps the tin?
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
This recipe is great if you are cautious about what you eat because it is low-fat and free of dairy products.
P.S. Because I am new to blogging, if you have any tips or things to improve please let me know! x